If you’re dealing with itchy, blistered, red, and awful-feeling skin, poison ivy might be the culprit. You can get symptom relief by working with your dermatologist at Associated Skin Care Specialists. Don’t keep itching and scratching, book your appointment at one of the five convenient locations around the Twin Cities in Fridley, Maple Grove, Coon Rapids, or Eden Prairie, Minnesota, through the online tool or by phone today.
Poison ivy, or toxicodendron radicans, is a wild plant that contains an oil called urushiol. This oil causes a rash in around 85% of those who touch it or are otherwise exposed to it.
The rash is bumpy and very itchy, often causing a nearly irresistible urge to scratch. However, scratching the rash only spreads it and makes it worse, often causing open sores and serious pain. Fluid-filled blisters are a common part of a poison ivy rash. When the blisters break open, you can develop a crust in their place.
If you had a poison ivy rash as a child, you may become immune as an adult. However, there are no guarantees of immunity, so it's always best to avoid contact as much as possible.
There are three possibilities. The most common way to get poison ivy rash is touch. Just one quick touch to an unfamiliar plant outside, or just bare skin brushing across poison ivy accidentally, can cause the rash.
You can also get poison ivy indirectly. For example, if your cat happened to take a nap in a patch of poison ivy, they've got urushiol on their fur. Although animals can't get the rash, their fur can easily transfer it to you when you pet or groom them.
You can even get a poison ivy rash by air. When you burn poison ivy, the plant releases urushiol oil in the air. If you're near an area with a wildfire or controlled burning, the oil particles could touch your skin to cause a rash.
It's a myth that you can get a poison ivy rash just by touching someone who has it.
Your Associated Skin Care Specialists dermatologist prescribes medicine to help your skin heal if you need it. Steroid ointments are very effective for serious poison ivy rashes. Some poison ivy rash sufferers develop an infection after aggressive scratching, which your dermatologist treats with antibiotics.
No matter what treatment your dermatologist prescribes, they'll remind you to avoid itching. It's the best way to help your skin heal. Most poison ivy rashes last a maximum of three weeks, but your dermatologist can help you be as comfortable as possible while you heal.
Use online booking or call Associated Skin Care Specialists for poison ivy help now.